edHelper.com
Healthy Life
Nutrition
Cholesterol



Cholesterol
Reading Level
     edHelper's suggested reading level:   high interest, readability grades 3 to 5
     Flesch-Kincaid grade level:   4.2

Vocabulary
     challenging words:    bloodstream, broil, overweight, lower, liver, roast, frying, however, loose, level, blood, necessary, eggs, kinds, instead, kind


Print Cholesterol
     Print Cholesterol  (font options, pick words for additional puzzles, and more)


Quickly Print
     Quickly print reading comprehension


Proofreading Activity
     Print a proofreading activity


Feedback on Cholesterol
     Leave your feedback on Cholesterol  (use this link if you found an error in the story)



Cholesterol
By Kathleen W. Redman
  

1     WHAT IS CHOLESTEROL?
Cholesterol is a kind of fat found in the blood. Your liver makes cholesterol for your body. You can also get cholesterol from the foods you eat. Meat, fish, milk, and eggs all have cholesterol in them.
 
2     There are two kinds of cholesterol - "good" cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol. The good kind is also known as HDL cholesterol. The bad kind is LDL cholesterol. HDL is good because it carries excess cholesterol back to the liver. The liver breaks down the cholesterol so it can be removed from the body. LDL is bad because of the things that can happen if there is too much of it in the blood. LDL carries cholesterol to the body's cells. A small amount is needed in the body. Often, however, there is far too much LDL in the blood. Too much LDL can lead to the formation of plaque on the walls of blood vessels.
 
3     DO I NEED IT?
Cholesterol is necessary for all animal life. Your liver and other cells in your body make about 75% of blood cholesterol. The other 25% comes from the foods you eat. Cholesterol is only found in animal products. Most doctors recommend that you should not get more than 300 mg a day. However, the liver can make all of the cholesterol, so none of it really needs to come from the diet.

Paragraphs 4 to 7:
For the complete story with questions: click here for printable



Weekly Reading Books

          Create Weekly Reading Books

Prepare for an entire week at once!


Healthy Life
             Healthy Life


Nutrition
             Nutrition



Health
    Alcohol  
 
    Bicycle Safety  
 
    Circulatory System  
 
    Digestive System  
 
    Disabilities  
 
    Drugs  
 
    Excretory System  
 
    Food Pyramid  
 
    Health Professionals  
 
    Healthy Life  
 
    Hygiene  
 
    Illnesses  
 
    Medical Tools  
 
 
    Miscellaneous Health Topics  
 
    Muscular System  
 
    My Plate  
 
    Nervous System  
 
    Nutrition  
 
    Reproductive System  
 
    Respiratory System  
 
    Skeletal System  
 
    Teeth  
 
    The Five Senses  
 
    The Human Body  
 
    Tobacco  
 


More Activities, Lesson Plans, and Worksheets


Back to School
Graphic Organizers
Alphabet Worksheets
Sight Words
Math Worksheets
Mazes
50 States
Education
Teaching

Monthly Themes
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Fractions
Place Value
Time and Calendar
Money
Earth Day
Solar System
Analogies
Nouns
Following Directions
Listening
Capitalization
Cursive Writing
Patterns and Sequencing
Dinosaurs
All About Me

Kindergarten
First Grade
Second Grade
Third Grade
Fourth Grade
Fifth Grade
Sixth Grade

Multiplication
Division
Main Idea
Cause and Effect
Measurement
Decimals
Rounding
Order of Operations
Verbs
Community Helpers
Adjectives
Plants
Grammar
Addition and Subtraction
Contractions
Bulletin Board Ideas
Word Searches
Crossword Puzzles
Printable Puzzles

Reading Comprehension
Reading Skills
English Language Arts





Copyright © 2017 edHelper