Worksheets and No Prep Teaching Resources
Worksheets and No Prep Teaching Resources
Reading Comprehension Worksheets
Animal Themes
Freshwater
Freshwater

Animal Themes
Animal Themes


Freshwater
Print Freshwater Reading Comprehension with Sixth Grade Work

Print Freshwater Reading Comprehension


Reading Level
     edHelper's suggested reading level:   grades 6 to 8
     Flesch-Kincaid grade level:   6.93

Vocabulary
     challenging words:    standing, floodplain, headwater, covering, definition, array, distinction, saline, region, impressive, vast, expanse, biome, percent, snow-capped, concentration
     content words:    Caspian Sea, Central Asia, Lake Baikal, Nile River, Amazon River, South America, Yangtze River


Freshwater   

1     Water covers about 70% of the Earth's surface. About 2.5 percent is freshwater, and the remaining 97.5% is saltwater. Much of Earth's freshwater is locked up as ice and groundwater. Only about 1.2 percent of Earth's water is found on Earth's surface in our lakes, rivers, and wetlands. Let's learn more about these three different types of freshwater biomes.
 
2     By definition, lakes are bodies of standing water that lay inland. Some lakes are so large that we simply don't call them "lakes." Instead, we call them "seas." Even more confusing is that not all lakes are freshwater lakes. The Caspian Sea of Central Asia is the largest lake on Earth. It is also a saltwater lake. The Caspian Sea covers a vast expanse of about 143,300 square miles. The saline concentration in the Caspian Sea is close to one-third of that in oceans. Lake Baikal is another impressive lake that is worth mentioning. Situated in Siberia in Russia, Lake Baikal earns the distinction as the world's deepest lake. The deepest point in Lake Baikal is over 5,300 feet! Furthermore, it is estimated that nearly one-fifth of the Earth's freshwater comes from Lake Baikal!
 
3     Unlike lakes, rivers are bodies of flowing water that usually exit into oceans or seas. The headwater is where a river begins. It can be a glacier, a snow-capped mountain peak, a lake, or a spring. Traveling down slope, a river may be joined by other rivers, creeks, or streams along the way. The path that a river flows through is its channel. The region on either side of the channel is the river's floodplain. About 4,200 miles long, the Nile River of Africa is the longest river on Earth. The first runner-up is the Amazon River of South America (4,000 miles). The second runner-up is the Yangtze River of Asia (3,965 miles).

Paragraphs 4 to 5:
For the complete story with questions: click here for printable



Weekly Reading Books

          Create Weekly Reading Books

Prepare for an entire week at once!


Feedback on Freshwater
Leave your feedback on Freshwater  (use this link if you found an error in the story)



Animal Themes
             Animal Themes


Freshwater
             Freshwater



Animals
    Amphibians  
 
    Birds  
 
    Deserts  
 
    Fish  
 
    Freshwater  
 
    Grasslands  
 
    Insects  
 
 
    Invertebrates  
 
    Mammals  
 
    Oceans  
 
    Polar Regions  
 
    Rain Forest  
 
    Reptiles  
 



Copyright © 2017 edHelper